Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Late Great Uncle.

    Well, a few weeks ago, a very good man passed away. My great Uncle "JJ". He was really a great man, faithful Catholic, and was a good role model too me throughout my life. He was known as many things; dad, grandpa, brother, uncle, husband and 'Doc'.

   He once told me a story, about when he was younger and there was a priest that he was really close with at our parish. Now, my Uncle was an avid fisherman, and one day he had invited the priest to go fishing with him. Well, they go fishing, and they catch quite a few fish. After, this priest said to him
   "I must confess, I did a very bad thing coming here to fish with you today."
   "How?", asked my uncle.
   "Well," says the priest, "I was supposed to give Mass this morning…"

   You see, this priest had given up Mass, to go fishing with my uncle. And if that isn't a great testimony to how great of a man my uncle was, then I don’t know what is. 

   My uncle also once told me about a great way to look at confession, especially penance.  He told me a story of once, when he was little, asking a priest about penance.  Here's what the priest said:
   
   "You got a white fence at home? Every time you commit a sin, go home and put a little black nail in your fence. And after about a month when you next go to confession, make a good confession, and confess all those sins. And then go home, and pull all those nails out. Now what do you got? You got a bunch of holes, and now you have to fill them in with good stuff."




Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.
May his soul and the souls of all the departed faithful by God's mercy rest in peace


Pax Christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment