Monday, August 15, 2011

Be Not Afraid.



Be not afraid. That’s what John Paul II tells us as Catholic Youth. This picture is of a dear friend of mine, who is exactly that, "not afraid".

Its hard to "be not afraid". We're afraid of what people will say, what they will think, and how we will look if we told them that we are a disciple of Jesus Christ.

We barley hesitate to profess love for an athlete, or a singer. "Oh I love that band!" or " Yea, man, A-Rod is a BEAST." We fight for our favorite baseball team as if life depended on it. Even though the Yankees do stink...just sayin'... 

Why cant we stand up for our faith with as much enthusiasm?

Why? Why should we be afraid of professing a faith in something that is so much greater than any athlete or musician? Because we are human.  

But my brother in this picture, he takes Jesus on the field with him, and he doesn’t care what people would think or say. And if someone says something about it, or maybe dislikes him for it, than SO WHAT. Fifteen hundred years ago, a man could lose his life for wearing such a symbol. He would be crucified, and his children would be fed to lions. Yet we are afraid of a little ridicule.

I know I'm guilty of it. How many times have I denied Christ? Many, but God knows my heart, He knows that I try to be strong. My resolution for this upcoming school year is to follow JP II's advice, and be not afraid. I want to proclaim my love for Christ to all, so that word may get around school that I am a Christian, and willing to live up to such a label. I will take pride in my faith, and be a disciple of Jesus Christ. 

"Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in Heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
-- Matthew 5:11&12

No comments:

Post a Comment